Living in Fort Collins

A real estate professional's views on his favorite place to live and play: Northern Colorado. Mountain biking near Ft. Collins, Fort Collins family fun activities, road cycling, property in Northern Colorado, skiing, and miscellaneous ramblings about Fort Collins, Loveland and the surrounding mountains and plains.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

This weekend found me in the Snowy Range of Wyoming visiting family at the Brooklyn Lodge.

This beautiful log building sits at 10,200 feet above sea level and looks across a meadow to the Wyoming plains off to the east. Friday night was spent with my parents, kids, wife and aunt and uncle around the campfire, eating dinner and watching the deer in the meadow. The stars that came out after dark were stunning, with the Milky Way very visible, Antares twinkling in the southern sky, and Jupiter glowing brightly off to the south-east.

Saturday morning my uncle and I got on the ATV and headed out on the Brooklyn Lake and Towner Lake roads, in search of some of the many moose they had been seeing the past couple of months. We saw a small bull near Towner Lake, and a cow running across the Brooklyn Lake road.

Being that close to such great trails, I could not pass up the opportunity for a great ride. I had my MOOTS with me, just in case. While everyone else was relaxing and playing cards, I jumped on my bike for a ride. Headed up the highway to the Towner Lake Road and followed it past the site of the earlier Moose sighting to the Brooklyn Lake Road. My initial plan was to follow the North Fork trail from here down to the Sand Creek Road and then return to the lodge via the highway, but I decided against finishing the ride on a long paved climb. Therefore, I went up to explore the Sheep Lake trail for the first time.

P8220076

P8220061

The trails in this area see more horse traffic than bike traffic, and the rough, rocky trails show it. I enjoyed the ride, but think that a bike with some more rear travel than that offered by my YBB would have been beneficial. I ran across a huge snowfield melting in the August sun. There were numerous lakes, and the views above timberline stretched all the was south to Longs Peak in Colorado. Traffic was very light for a warm Saturday in the middle of August. I encountered only one other mountain biker, and a group of 4 hikers.

P8220063

Finished the day with a great picnic with the family and then returned to Fort Collins to show property to a buyer looking for his first home.

P8220082

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home